Saturday, September 10, 2011

Montana Dreamin

   
I lay in my old hot tub at Lifetime Fitness at midnight the other night with my eyes closed, dreaming I was back in the Boiling River section of the Lamar river (as seen here).  I went to see a great country band "The Killer Hayseeds" last night outdoors in Osseo MN,  and all I could think of was the cold Montana night air and watching a band with the mountains all around at night outdoors in Chico Hot Springs MT. Then I'm on my deck at midnight last night staring at the city version of stars, as I do most nights, but I was again dreaming of Mountain Stars. I guess I'm just Montana Dreamin... Just skip California Dreamin and bikini tans and surf boards and gimme the Grizzly prints and scat big enough to make you shat and keep a hand on your pepper spray and your bell ringing!  God gave us fear for a reason. Not to be lived in or it will kill you from the inside. But, I think it's  pre curser to the great reckoning or other epic events that mortals need to be aware of and think seriously about, so we don't end this life pre-maturely.

Ok, driving with a foot while drinking espresso and texting with the other hand comes to mind. Geeze that's a tough confession to recon with. But, my boys will give me "MY" look on occasion when I'm being foolish like that. I cant help I did a one man show for years that was a multi tasking nightmare, and consequently I live on that edge whenever I can, to see if I can still juggle that extra plate at 70mph. "and after I got over that brain injury".... I'm trying now to think about that a bit more these days.

Never having been lost in the wilderness or in a POW camp, I can't imagine what it must be like to re-introduce yourself to the mainland, but just after 9 days alone in a little tent in the mountains I must admit I have a quarter ounce of that feeling as I return home. My wife, my bed, my kids, my friends, my cars and home and church and restaurants and and, and I'm missing boiled water and wind storms and hard rain and freezing morning dirty wet socks, and yes, beautiful trout.
Beyond that it might be the adventure.. yes, that might really be it.  However you could experience a similar feeling living in a van,  under a bridge by the river, in any city. But somehow that doesn't appeal to me like it did to "the whiskey drinkin preacher" talked about in the classic Chuck Cannon song. (now, one of my all time favorites, that country singer Michael Peterson introduced me to last year).

So it's Saturday, I should be cutting grass, but I'm still drinking espresso and dreamin bout Montana...

No comments: