Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Between the BigHole and Deep Blue Sky (Take #3)

The Big Hole is a river in Montana with quite a reputation for big fish and amazing views. It runs through some incredible canyon views and  flows North or N.East to join two other rivers to create the Missouri River.   We were not able to float the famous canyon due to bridge issues, but ole Bob Mac took us for 7hours down the BigHole in large winds and high temps this day.  With those winds in our face, I'm not sure he ever really stopped rowing and it's a big river to navigate, so kudos to BoBo for his upper body strength and a few carbonated cans of Malt.    You see our little float boats would not have fared well on the stretch we floated today and after my last Kon-Tiki experience, I'm thinkin lakes might be my best use of that boat. Ok, maybe I'll try it on the Madison in a few days.   This day we saw alot of fish and landed mainly larger Brook trout over 12". The colors in Brook trout are so amazingly different than other trout.  
They are like the painted cabin along the northern lakes of Minnesota/Wisconson.  Forrest Green with orange brown and yellow spots. I'm telling you, no mens tie could ever look more stunning with a brown corduroy jacket and a jean shirt the those colors on a brook trout. Just sayin.....
And the taste is in my humble opinion the best delicate flavors in all of the "Salmo" family for trouts.
 Well back on the BigHorn I had one Rainbow in the 20" range  but ole Bob took the hook out and thew it overboard before we could measure, let alone take a nice pic.  That's what happens when you're with friends.. ha! Catch and release is our motto unless were eatin dinner.  This is ole Bob after a long day rowing. Can't tell you what Tale or joke  he's tellin you right now but trust me, you'll laugh.



Now the heat that day was brutal and sadly my parther got sun poisoning and that kept him out of the sun the next few days where he had to just get in the car and ride around in the airconditioning till the sun began to cool around 8:30 PM...  

Like I said earlier, this camp spot was free and not on the map.. Bob had told me " go around a bend in the Mt. and you'll see a break in the guard rail. I'll have my blinker on for a second. You can take the hard right and go straight down that dirt road to the river. You have 4WD so you'll be ok... Well he wasnt kidding. it was mucho steep and the dirt paths to the field where we camped was, well, OFF ROAD.. and high grass up to the top of the hood in spots. But, other than mousquitos, it was fabulous and what a view.
Here's a pic of my parters tent and jeep parked along the river which was about 60ft from this spot and a great place to have morning "alone time with God".  
Ok, well i've blown my time in Bozeman today here at another coffee shop writing and uploading photos of this journey. We're going to see an old Gary Cooper movie at the old theatre tonight. Our one adventure into the old west on screen while we're here.    
Next stop i'll talk about the West Fork of the Madison River. I'll try to see if my new oars will make it or ?? And every fly fisherperson dreams of one day being able to hit the trifecta of hatches.   The infamous Salmon Fly Hatch..  In 30 years of flyfishing, none of my poor mortal friends could ever afford to jump a plane and head to these waters the day those suckers come out of the ground to mate and feed big trout.  

Episode #3 will be Madison Valley and I'll just tell you that we arrived at Ruby Campgrounds and I walked to the river to check it out. Guess who happen to come by and land on my watch to find out what time it was....

 
Mans Best Friend out west other than his dog..
The Giant Salmon Fly!

No comments: