Wednesday, July 2, 2008

To Much Time Between The Water

(Photo taken after 5 hours of climbing stream banks in WI)

So I have this old friend Mark. He owns the best electronic repair shop in the state. We talk Fly Fishing and Fly Tying every time I see him. Wellllll, Mark's been through a lot in the last 10 years and as a result he had to quit wearing waders and hiking ie: no stream fishing. metal rods in his leg, and interferon treatments for some rare disease. It's tough to give up your passions. Well we finally went East of Elsworth WI yesterday and fished the early morning hours from the "Rod and Gun Club" entrance on the Rush River. Hiking a mile or so up and down the river banks through 6ft itch weed and mud to get to the "good spots" is part of the fun of fishing for weary trout. Well by 11 AM we were back to the truck and had a few "browns" thrown back to the trout god. Over coffee we reminisced about the last few years and when he asked me when we fished last, I said "3 or 4 years ago". He said it had been over 10 years. As we talked it was clear that much time had passed. Life is to short to let that happen with friends. So today I purpose to recall friendships that I have let slip from doing things we used to enjoy to do together. Do you have friends you have let slip through the cracks? Make a list and call them. They may need your friendship or your prayers OR without knowing it, you might need theirs. It might also get you out doing some things you used to love to do before life got crazy. And don't forget to tell them how much they mean to you.
And then as we were leaving Mark said, This is the first time in 4 years I've fished this water and the first time in many years I've been able to put on waders and hike the stream beds without being on my back for days. The joy in his face as he spoke. The light in his eyes.
Ahh yes I said to myself. It was worth planning a time to drive a few hours to be with an old friend.

No comments: